Conservation Management PlanClient:
DB Real Estate
The former Qantas House, No. 1 Chifley Square, Sydney, is an icon of twentieth-century architecture and much loved by Sydneysiders. Designed in 1950 and completed in 1957, it is included on the New South Wales State Heritage Register. The elliptical aluminium mullions of its curtain wall facade were designed to reflect the aerodynamic inspirations of Qantas Empire Airways, which commissioned the building for its international headquarters.
GML completed a Conservation Management Plan for the building which included oral history interviews with the original designer, Felix Tavener of Rudder Littlemore & Rudder Architects. This revealed little known facts about the building that gave a broader understanding of its significance and relationship to Sydney’s postwar development.
The building’s interior, significantly altered in the 1980s, was refurbished in 2004. The Conservation Management Plan guided the refurbishment, which included restoring original features. Before the works, GML prepared a Heritage Impact Assessment, undertook archival photographic recording and provided heritage advice to the architectectural team during the construction phase. GML also developed video-based interpretation for the building’s refurbished foyer.